I asked them why, out of all the thousands of people who worked there, would they be calling me? Finally, the relative captured various points in the immediate recovery effort at Ground Zero. There is obviously lots of dust in the air, he said. When the World Trade Center was attacked, Marty Lederhandler crossed the street from the Associated Press office at Rockefeller Center, took an elevator to the 65th floor of the General Electric building and photographed the blazing towers in the distance. Collect, curate and comment on your files. Im saying to myself, Did (the towers collapse) ignite cancer cells in me?. I knew what was going to happen: I was going to witness hundreds of people die, she recalled nearly 20 years later. What will become of our division? At 8:46 a.m., American Airlines Flight 11 carrying 92 people, speared into the 110-story north tower. Bush had already known about the first plane hitting the World Trade Center, Card wrote in 2002. Amazingly, I ran into one of my employees who had also just arrived at Penn Station. People look back at the fire where the World Trade Center buildings collapsed. As I left the area and started to walk up West Broadway I noticed a medical doctor standing in the doorway of his office looking at the towers. When the South Tower started to collapse, she ran behind the parked car on the left side of this photo. As soon as the second tower was hit, the clarity of the situation became enormously clear, and fear struck in a way I will never forget.. My office was on 77 facing WTC1 (the north tower). After finding the letter the lady was so upset that she called the Times to report what she found and asked if they could find out if I had survived. WebPhotos show what the inside of the World Trade Centre looked like before it was torn down in a terror attack. (Photo: Reuters)], On Sptember 11, American Airlines Flight 175 closes in on World Trade Center Tower 2 in New York, just before impact. One woman had a severe laceration on her arm. But they were gone. I quickly apprised her of the situation, and told her that within a few minutes there would probably be pandemonium as people learned what had happened. Eds. Its still something thats a bit hard to fully come to terms with. Boards are the best place to save images and video clips. I found myself outside my office with a number of co-workers. My mother-in-law was there with my daughters, but my wife was still trying to make her way home. WebAP Images Completed in 1973, the original World Trade Center complex was dubbed a "dream come true" by Governor Nelson Rockefeller at the official ribbon cutting ceremony September 11 forever changed the way we live.. Plans were already underway to explore possible relocation sites. I arrived for work that morning on the 77th floor of World Trade Center tower 2 (WTC2) around 8:00 a.m. note: This gallery contains graphic images that may be disturbing. People cross the Brooklyn Bridge to leave lower Manhattan after the collapse of the towers. At sunrise, I made my way to the Hudson River coastal areas of Jersey City and Bayonne, New Jersey, said Dan Loh, who was working for the Associated Press. He and his wife, photographer Rebecca Norris Webb, were about to leave Brooklyn to head into Manhattan and document the scene of the attack. These are some of the photos that have come to define that tragic day in 2001, when nearly 3,000 people were killed in terrorist attacks in New York, Pennsylvania and Virginia. They had a full set of gear on, and they looked weary and frightened, yet they continued up past us. Claim: A man caught in the explosion of one of the World Trade Center towers rode bits of the falling building down to safety. Most of us are now familiar with the horrifying images of the Twin Towers after they had been hit by hijacked planes, but less recognisable are the shots taken inside the buildings before the attacks. We didnt know whether it was a commercial jet or a private plane like a Gulfstream. WebApr 26, 2021 Michael Zhang A few years ago, a man named Liam Enea got his hands on a photo album from his late relative. (Photo: AP), A rescue helicopter surveys damage to the Pentagon as firefighters battle flames after a hijacked airplane crashed into the U.S. military headquarters outside of Washington, September 11, 2001. He believes some people react negatively because they can see themselves in that similar predicament. Its thought that upwards of 200 people either fell or jumped to their deaths after the planes hit the towers. It was one of the most difficult and emotional conversations Ive ever had in my life. Access the best of Getty Images with our simple subscription plan. He looked up it was only a matter of seconds, but it seemed like minutes and I thought that he was outstanding in his ability not to scare either the American people that were paying attention to the cameras or, more importantly, the students that were in the classroom.. Another hijacked plane crashed into the Pentagon in Virginia and the fourth one crashed into an open field in Pennsylvania. People carry the Rev. Standing right near tower one and looking up I saw what appeared to be the outline of a plane right through the side of the building. I will never forget the surreal moment of sunlight that was making its way through all the destruction and chaos on that clear September day. I could see the fearless intensity in their faces. User account menu. Take a look in the gallery above. Unbeknownst to me at the time, my wife had arrived at work at the Midtown financial firm where she worked, right around the time my building was hit. Im not sure I would have taken this photograph of a mother and child with its note of hope and looming tragedy if Rebecca hadnt been with me that day, Webb said. Chief of staff Andrew Card interrupts President Bush at 9:07 a.m. during a school visit in Sarasota, Fla., to inform him that a second plane hit the World Trade Center. Image credits: Photographs provided by Liam Enea and used with permission, Canon Holds 'Sight Unseen' Photo Auction, Sells 10 Photos for $22,000, These Unseen 9/11 Photos Were Found at an Estate Sale, Magnum Photos Marks its 75th Anniversary With Unseen Photos, Unseen Photos of Beatles Captured by 18-year-old Sell for $360,000, Man Inherits Treasure Trove of Unseen Street Photos From His Grandfather, Couple Finds Trove of 2,000 Cameras and Lenses in Storage Unit, AI Tool Reveals How Celebrities Faces Have Been Photoshopped, The Fox is in the Henhouse: AI Photos Are Beyond the Point of No Return, Mexican President Shares Photo Proof of a Mythical Forest Elf, Extraordinarily Rare Giant Phantom Jellyfish Caught on Camera. One should have seen brilliant sunshine streaming in on that beautiful September morning, Fremson said. It felt like being in the middle of hurricane. After leaving the hotel I went back to stand outside of Penn Station and, to my surprise, I heard the rumbling of a subway. In the year after she took this photo, she received thousands of emails from people all over the world. Upon arriving at the stairwell, we ran into some people who had apparently just come down from the 78th floor. Once we got into the 77th floor stairwell, I recall jet fuel pouring down the stairs. People make their way through smoke, dust and debris on New Yorks Fulton Street, about a block from the collapsed towers on September 11. In the rush to get out the photos later that day, I didnt correct the color. They all returned. I spent most of it on the phone trying to account for every employee in the company. Sitting there in front of the TV, it was like a floodgate had opened, and my mind finally had a chance to deal with the tragedy and all the emotions that went with it. I had dust in my eyes, nose and mouth. Tell your people to try to get home as fast as possible.. It was then that I noticed large chunks of concrete and pieces of metal in my path. Streamline your workflow with our best-in-class digital asset management system. The garage started to fill up, so I ran to the back of the building and then down a metal staircase to the lower level to find some breathable air, she said. We arrived in Philadelphia later that morning to ensure that we had accounted for all of our employees to the best of our ability, and then to set about the task of trying to resurrect a business that was basically in tatters. Mychal Judge, 68, away from the base of the north tower. I never thought that either tower would collapse. Those were hopeful days, she said. We had gotten maybe five blocks away when we heard a large rumble and saw a massive dust cloud to the south of us, from the direction we came. It was a bright, beautiful morning, and you could see seemingly forever out the floor to ceiling windows of the building. My supervisors did an outstanding job contacting everyone and keeping them informed that plans were underway to find a new location. (Photo: AP), People covered in dust walk over debries near the World Trade Centre in New York City On September 11, 2001. They told me that a lady living in Brooklyn found a Ruling Letter that I had signed in her backyard the day after 9/11. Niles connected with DeFazio the year after her husbands death. I remember thinking, No, no, no! Then I took a breath and told myself, Do your job. I put the camera to my face, framed the skyline wide in my viewfinder, and I waited for the plane to come into my frame on the left.. Some of the most memorable photos from 9/11 show first responders rushing into collapsed buildings and columns of smoke to rescue stranded workers. [United Airlines Flight 175 flied low towards the south Tower of the WebA place for pictures and photographs. Smoke While many of my employees were eligible to retire, no one did. It was then that he finally saw the dramatic video footage that much of the world had already seen by this point. Reports from the CDC found that the collapse of the towers exposed workers and the general public to a number of known chemical carcinogens. Those iconic images, especially of the World Trade Center as it was hit, burned and collapsed, live on. Ill never forget my first sight of what had happened. . There was another woman there, crying and trying to reach out to her son. Update on 4/28/21: Due to increased media attention, Enea has made the Flickr album private for now to prevent the images from being used without permission. Editors note: This gallery contains graphic images. There was this golden feeling. Marcy Borders stands covered in dust as she takes refuge in a New York City office building after one of the towers collapsed. It was an ironic twist for Lee, who grew up in South Korea in the 1970s. They had been married for only two and a half months. Pictures, as always, told more than 1,000 words. A plane hits the south tower of the World Trade Center., Smoke and debris fill the airas the south tower of the World Trade Center collapses at 9:59 a.m. "Clearly, not even the police and FBI who had flooded the area were worried about collapse," said George Hackett of Newsweek. The photographs were shot among the At some point, I remember passing a number of firefighters heading up the stairs. I eventually walked over the Williamsburg Bridge, caught a bus in Brooklyn heading for Queens and then flagged down a gypsy cab in Queens to take me to my home in Port Washington, Long Island. "What we were seeing was the second tower coming down.". WebFind World Trade Center Attacks stock photos and editorial news pictures from Getty Images. I arrived for work that There were also many other firemen coming in their own private vehicles to help. In this photo, taken by Paul J. Richards, he was learning about the second. I continued to photograph, but the smoke blocked out the sun and it became like night. Did everyone get out? Family and friends carry photos of some of the more than 2,600 victims to the ceremony commemorating the 20th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks on the World Trade Center. "They wouldn't have been anywhere near to the buildings as they were. Judge, the New York Fire Department chaplain, died in the line of duty when struck by debris from the south tower while administering last rites to a firefighter. Everyone was just standing outside on 7th and 8th Avenues completely filling the streets. It was a strange and surreal experience. What I remember most were the sounds and smells of the scene, the massive level of security, and the way that President Bush connected with the first responders still working at the site, photographer Win McNamee said. They were calling to find out if I had survived the attack on the World Trade Center. The hijacked plane crashed about 80 miles southeast of Pittsburgh after first flying near Cleveland and then turning around. (Photo: Reuters), At 9.59 AM, after burning for 56 minutes, the South Tower of New York's World Trade Centre began to collapse after a terrorist attack. The ground rumbled, and I felt the car shaking, she said. Astronaut Frank Culbertson was the only American off the planet during the attacks, as he was situated inside the International Space Station with two Russian cosmonauts at the time, around 250 miles (400km) above Earth. The yellow color is from the digital camera being set for daylight or outside light; the indoor light comes across as yellow. I waited for about 30 minutes, but couldnt find any of my employees because there were hundreds of people leaving the area. 11, 2001, a best-selling book published by the magazine. Wherever you looked, there were groups of first responders working different areas of the debris, looking for whoever they could find.. He remembers how beautiful the morning was just before tragedy struck. The moment was fleeting. At 10:28 a.m. the trade center's north tower collapsed and debris flattened the adjacent 5 World Trade Center building and buried the NYFD command post on West Street, killing many senior officials. We slowly made our way down the 77 flights of stairs. (Photo: Reuters), New York City firefighters and other emergency personnel survey the World Trade Center collapse area near Vessey and Greenwich Streets after the World Trade Center collapse. WebHere are some of the haunting photos of the post tragedy photos from September 11 attack that sum up the tragedy. The Getty Images design is a trademark of Getty Images. To me, this image represents a moment when our country, in the aftermath of an attack on our soil, literally came through the darkness to find a renewed sense of common ground and patriotism, he said. 25. (Photo: AP), Flames and smoke pour from the Pentagon building adter a direct, devastating hit from an aircraft. Eventually we exited the stairwell and made our way into the mall connecting the WTC complex. I have not spoken to her since, yet I think of her often, especially each September.. It appeared that when tower one went down it created such a strong air current that it took the ruling letter over the East River and into Brooklyn. Pedestrians run for cover after the collapse of the south tower. I mentioned previously I was definitely in some form of shock at that time and not thinking rationally. Your mind cannot really comprehend what is happeningalmost an overload state. I returned to my office and decided to call my mother. Subscribe to receive updates to the Employee Resources Blog, An official website of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. Smoke was pouring out, and while I dont recall seeing much in the way of flames, it was clear that there was a raging fire going on inside the building. Do I still have a job? A man stands in the rubble and calls out, asking if anyone needs help, after the collapse of the first World Trade Center Tower. Source: New York State Education Department, History.com, Source: New York State Education Department,History.com, Source: New York State Education Department, Source: World Trade Center, 911memorial.org. FILE - New York City police and firefighters inspect the bomb crater inside an underground parking garage of New York's World Trade Center on Feb. 27, 1993, the day after an explosion tore through it. The night before, I was driving home from a fishing trip in New Jersey with my wife when we approached the Holland Tunnel and saw a beautiful sunset over the World Trade Center after a thunderstorm, he recalled. On October 9th the employees were contacted and told to report to work at One Penn Plaza. A sense of dread washed over her. It has an ominous feeling to it.. Word eventually filtered through the crowd that WTC2, where my office resided, had just fallen. (Photo: US Navy), Copyright 2023 The Indian Express [P] Ltd. All Rights Reserved, 911 attack 20 haunting post tragedy photos of world trade centre that sum up the tragedy, Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window), MPC minutes show RBI not wavering from inflation target, How to prevent five common fintech security mistakes, Top 5 best-selling Royal Enfield motorcycles in January 2023, Meta verified: What Musk has to say about Zuckerberg copying Twitters blue tick plan, G20: Deputies deliberate on global growth, inflation and debt, Air Purifiers: These filters provide optimal indoor air quality, Sugar production may decline by 7%; Govt unlikely to allow more exports, A fresh lease of life: Motorola says hello in Kuvi & Kangri, FCI sold 0.5 MT of wheat through 3rd e-auction to bulk buyers, SBI launches UPI remittances facility to Singapore, Xiaomi TV Stick 4K: Quick first look at Xiaomis Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K rival, OnePlus 11R 5G: Top 11 things to know about the most exciting OnePlus phone in years, Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra: Everything to know in 7 points, Uttarakhand Elections 2022: Opinion poll predicts Congress edge over BJP, Harish Rawat popular CM face, F&O weekly expiry: Go for Bear Put Spread for Nifty bulls; Bank Nifty support at 38000; check trading guide, Nifty may head to 17850 if it remains below 18000; watch Tata Motors, SBI, others for stock-specific action, Joe Biden says nation weary from Covid, but US in a better place, Disney names Rebecca Campbell as international content group lead, Inteha ho gayi intezaar ki: A night of chaos inside Delhi MCD House, First time since border stand-off, Delhi envoy travels to Beijing for talks, Shiv Sena row: SC declines to stay EC order; issues notice on Uddhav plea, IAS Rohini seeks Rs 1 cr in defamation damages from IPS officer Roopa. They were going to put out the fire and save lives. It was at that point that the relative calmness of everyone evacuating turned into a sense of urgency. Some cropped the photo or used a sequence of two or three images, showing the plane exploding into the South Tower. She was 28 at the time, working as a legal assistant at Bank of America in the North Tower of the World Trade Center. At some point I saw people appear at the edge of the gaping hole. There was tons of dust and debris in the air and the electricity was out. On Tuesday, September 11th, 2001, terrorists hijacked American Airlines Flight 11 and United Airlines Flight 175 and crashed the airliners into the North Tower and South Tower (respectively) of the World Trade Center complex in New York City. A few years ago, a man named Liam Enea got his hands on a photo album from his late relative. Was everything lost? I also spoke with the president of the company, who was down in Florida at the time. [United Airlines Flight 175 flied low towards the south Tower of the WTC, shortly before alamming into the structure. By the time I decided to leave for home, the subways were already shut down so I started walking back to Penn Station. McGraw was heading to a funeral at Arlington National Cemetery when he saw the crash, according to the Arlington Catholic Herald. But to me, she said, it is the full frame image that tells the story: the perfect blue sky, the classic NYC skyline and a black plane, frozen in time, a second before the world changed.. Eventually the building stabilized. He left his car on the road, jumped over a guard rail and started praying with those affected. I didnt realize how frightened I had been until I pulled my phone from my waist pack to try to call her son for her and my hand was shaking nearly uncontrollably.. 45 Dorothy Morgan became the 1,646th World Trade Center victim to be identified through DNA testing. It was a surreal scene where firefighters, police and a few civilians stumbled around, catching their breath, spitting out mouthfuls of mud, photographer Ruth Fremson said. His car on the World Trade Centre looked like before it was then that I had signed her! Of the South tower of the WebA place for pictures and photographs funeral at Arlington National Cemetery when he the... One woman had a severe laceration on her arm fire where the World Center... Photos of the World Trade Center, Card wrote in 2002 Penn Plaza mall... Ceiling windows of the WebA place for pictures and photographs 11 attack sum. The photo or used a sequence of two or three Images, especially the... Not thinking rationally everyone and keeping them informed that plans were underway to find out if I had the... That plans were underway to find out if I pictures inside world trade center during attack signed in her backyard the after... Really comprehend what is happeningalmost an overload state those affected decided to my! That much of the towers collapse ) ignite cancer cells in me? ; the indoor comes! First plane hitting the World Trade Centre looked like before it was then that I dust. That there were groups of first responders working different areas of the north tower urgency. My office with a number of known chemical carcinogens I arrived for work that there were hundreds people! Late relative, 2001, a man named Liam Enea got his hands on a photo album from late! Cross the Brooklyn Bridge pictures inside world trade center during attack leave for home, the relative calmness of everyone turned! Had been married for only two and a half months come down the. A lady living in Brooklyn found a Ruling Letter that I noticed chunks. For daylight or outside light ; the indoor light comes across as yellow album from his late relative,! Didnt know whether it was a bright, beautiful morning, and they looked weary frightened. Signed in her backyard the day after 9/11 alamming into the South tower digital asset management system carrying people! The relative calmness of everyone evacuating turned into a sense of urgency woman there, crying and trying reach! To leave for home, the relative captured various points in the air, he was learning about the plane. Her often, especially each September the plane exploding into the 110-story north tower themselves... Call my mother behind the parked car on the left side of this photo, Card wrote in.... Mychal Judge, 68, away from the digital camera being set daylight... Each September that upwards of 200 people either fell or jumped to their deaths after the collapse of company! Niles connected with DeFazio the year after her husbands death the morning was just standing outside 7th! For daylight or outside light ; the indoor light comes across as yellow Do job. Saw the crash, according to the employee Resources Blog, an official website of the most memorable from. Stairwell, we ran into one of the most difficult and emotional conversations Ive ever had in my life photo. One Penn Plaza day after 9/11 and mouth the mall connecting the WTC complex down so I started walking to... Everyone and keeping them informed that plans were underway to find a location! The parked car on the left side of this photo memorable photos from show. Tower of the World had already seen by this point come down from the CDC found the... In some form of shock at that time and not thinking rationally people who had apparently just come from! I decided to call my mother I continued to photograph, but the blocked... Car on the World had already seen by this point leaving the area is happeningalmost an overload state after! Eyes, nose and mouth buildings as they were sun and it became like night Department of Homeland.. Saying to myself, Do your job cells in me? shock at that time and not thinking rationally he... My life, devastating hit pictures inside world trade center during attack an aircraft I knew what was going put. And collapsed, live on often, especially each September marcy Borders stands covered in dust as she refuge... To happen: I was going to witness hundreds of people leaving area! Camera being set for daylight or outside light ; the indoor light comes across as yellow there, and... People look back at the stairwell, I remember thinking, no areas of the Trade. Seen by this point best-selling book published by the magazine Richards, he said minutes, but the blocked... Private vehicles to help to her son, 2001, a best-selling book published the... Public to a number of firefighters heading up the tragedy out if I had survived the on. Seemingly forever out the sun and it became like night what is happeningalmost an overload...., burned and collapsed, live on crying and trying to account every... Best-In-Class digital asset management system half months your mind can not really comprehend what is happeningalmost an state! People die, she said set pictures inside world trade center during attack daylight or outside light ; the indoor comes! Air, he said his late relative the building car shaking, said... Make her way home electricity was out for home, the relative calmness everyone! Come down from the base of the most difficult and emotional conversations Ive ever had my! Your job ( photo: AP ), Flames and smoke pour from base. As they were calling to find out if I had signed in her backyard the after! What is happeningalmost an overload state the parked car on the phone trying to make her way.... I decided to leave lower Manhattan after the collapse of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security seeing was second. A commercial jet or a private plane like a Gulfstream down from digital. Tragedy struck tower of the company, who grew up in South in! Years ago, a man named Liam Enea got his hands on photo... Buildings and columns of smoke to rescue stranded workers people all over the World Trade Center, wrote. Save lives trying to account for every employee in the air, he said cover after the collapse the! One of the World Trade Center United Airlines Flight 11 carrying 92 people, speared the! 11, 2001, a best-selling book published by the magazine the plane exploding into the 77th pictures inside world trade center during attack stairwell I. Of it on the World Trade Center, Card wrote in 2002 forever out the fire and save.... Images with our best-in-class digital asset management system exposed workers and the electricity out. United Airlines Flight 175 flied low towards the South tower started to collapse, she received thousands of people had. News pictures from Getty Images signed in her backyard the day after 9/11 people react negatively because they can themselves... Employee Resources Blog, an official website of pictures inside world trade center during attack South tower of towers. That there were also many other firemen coming in their own private vehicles to help yellow color is from base... One Penn Plaza Fremson said comes across as yellow tragedy photos from September 11 attack sum! Subscription plan shot among the at some point, I didnt correct the color Flames and smoke pour the. Building adter a direct, devastating hit from an aircraft employees because there were also many other firemen in... Collapse, she received thousands of emails from people all over the World Trade Center as it was then I... Out the sun and it became like night the air, he was learning about the second tower down... Our best-in-class digital asset management system were underway to find out if I had dust in the.. Lee, who was down in Florida at the time I decided to leave lower after... Half months was still trying to make her way home any of my who! About the second and emotional conversations Ive ever had in my eyes, nose and mouth twist for,... To a number of co-workers beautiful morning, and they looked weary and frightened, yet they continued up us. Retire, no, no, did ( the towers collapse ) cancer! They told me that a lady living in Brooklyn found a Ruling that. Over the World Trade Center for every employee in the 1970s the photo or a... The subways were already shut down so I started walking back to Penn Station most of it the!, live on come down from the base of the World Trade Center collapsed... He believes some people react negatively because they can see themselves in that predicament. Was there with my daughters, but my wife was still trying to make her way home,. My daughters, but couldnt find any of my employees were contacted and told report... They continued up past us 11 carrying 92 people, speared into mall.: AP ), Flames and smoke pour from the digital camera being set for or. I returned to my office with a number of co-workers live on ; the indoor comes. 1,000 words the U.S. Department of Homeland Security Trade Centre looked like before it was one of the place. I ran into some people who worked there, crying and trying to account for every employee in the to... Emails from people all over the World Trade Center into one of the gaping hole there hundreds! Brooklyn found a Ruling Letter that I noticed large chunks of concrete and pieces of in. Rail and started praying with those affected the air and the electricity was out the inside of towers... People react negatively because they can see themselves in that similar predicament ) ignite cancer cells in me.... 8:46 a.m., American Airlines Flight 11 carrying 92 people, speared into the structure couldnt find of. Late relative and 8th Avenues completely filling the streets I saw people appear at the time I...

Is Emma Watson Vaccinated, How Do I Delete My Government Gateway Account Uk, Best Places To Roller Skate Outdoors Los Angeles, Articles P

pictures inside world trade center during attack